Lead

Oct 30 08 5:08 PM

Tags : :

Step 1. The bug

Take six large peeled chopped potatoes and boil in water without any salt. (Keep the water to at least an inch above the potatoes) Once the potatoes are cooked, (don't pour out the water), mash the potatoes in the water and stand to let cool. Once cooled, store in a large preserving jar and top with warm water so that the mixture fills the jar to the top. Recommend a 2Ltr jar as this can be screwed tight and left on your bench to mature. This also allows you to check and to release pressure when required. Takes at least 3 days or more in the warmest place on your bench for the potato and water mixture to mature. After the mixture has matured it can be stored in the fridge.

In a 4 cup container with a lid, mix together:- 2 cups of flour 1/2 of a cup of sugar. 1 cup of the matured potatoe water mixture (warmed) Cover and let stand for about 1 and 1/2hours to rise.

NB: Remember to add more warm water to the potatoe water to replace the amount used. --------------------------------

Step 2 Setting The Rewana Dough

To a large bowl add: 6 heaped cups of flour - make a large well-shape in the middle of the flour. 1 cup of sugar - into the well-shape. 3 quarters of the Rewana bug on top of the sugar. 4 cups of the potato and water mixture (warmed).

Mix well to a very thick paste. Cover the bowl with glad wrap and stand in a warm place to rise.

NB: Add more warm water to your potato and water mixture. To your Rewana - Bug, mix in 1 cup of flour, 1/4 cup of sugar and enough of the potato water to make a thick paste. It can then be stored in the fridge till next time you want to make another Rewana. Keep a check on it as it will continue to work.

Step 3 Kneading the Dough.

Round the edge (not the middle) of the dough spread 3 cups of flour. Using a spatula, start working your dough by pushing the flour down and under and then bringing the under side of the dough up and over in to the centre. Continue this part until the dough is just dry enough to be able to be kneaded by hand. Turn out on to a well floured board and knead for a further 10 mins. Cut into four and work into the shape you want and place in a well buttered dish, cover and let rise.

Cook in a preheated oven at 175 degrees Celsius for 45 mins, turn off the oven and let stand in the oven for 10mins. Remove from the oven and wrap in large tea-towel or similar till cool enough to eat. Hope this is clear enough, happy to answer any questions.

If you know how your grandmother did it, you will survive!

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jan 6 10 1:59 PM

Hi, you can keep a bug for many years - some are handed down by mothers to daughters and are treated as the family heirlooms they are.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Aug 9 10 8:30 PM

Thank you soooo very much for this well informed recipe. It is the most clear and concise recipe for rewana I have come across and it has made me excited to go make my very first rewana. I will let you know how it all went. Thanks again :)

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Dec 4 10 3:02 AM

Thanks a bunch for putting in the effort to provide this. Was just wondering how I would know the potato water mixture has reached maturity? Any hints at what to look for?

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Dec 4 10 7:28 PM

Hi, the rewana should look a little like batter, with bubbles rising to the top - when that happens, the rewana is ready.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Jun 11 11 9:39 AM

Kia ora ella... I am abit confused about,  when you instruct  in steps 1 to use the rewena bug the cups of the potatoe and water. I thought the two were then same thing....this has confused me lol.  Can you help me understand what you mean in regards to the bug and the water and potatoe please.  With thanks...

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help